Click here to print this page

Planning Retirement Online

Elderly relatives - Who cares?



Elderly relatives - Who cares and how? 

There are different kinds of carers, says the charity The Relatives Association, and they need different kinds of help. For instance, when an elderly, dependent person goes into a residential home, much of the responsibility is reduced, but it never quite goes away. The worry about welfare, suitable treatment, communication with staff are still causes for concern. When the person suffers from dementia, there are even more worries. How to communicate during visits? How to sound positive?

The Relatives Association is looking at the needs and problems of different kinds of carers, beginning with a report carried out with Westminster Health Care on relatives visiting the ‘elderly mentally infirm’, those suffering from dementia or Alzheimers disease.


Now the Relatives Association wants to add to its information on special needs of carers, and it needs your help. If you are a carer, and would like to contribute your views  or any special information, contact Julia Burton-Jones, Groups in Homes Project Leader, The Relatives and Residents Association, 24 The Ivories, 6-18 Northampton Street, London, N1 2HY
Tel: 020 7359 8148
Advice line: 020 7359 8136


New allowances for carers

The Invalid Care Allowance is now extended to people over the age of 65 who care for a minimum of 35 hours a week. This only applies when the dependent person is receiving attendance allowance or disability living allowance at the middle or higher rate.

The ruling came into existence in October 2002, and an estimated 10,000 older carers will benefit from a further change which will allow them to claim the allowance for 8 weeks after the death of the person they were looking after.  

Choosing long-term options

Anyone needing guidance through the bewildering choice of long-term care options is invited to contact the Help the Aged Care Fees Advice service. The free, impartial care fees advice service is designed to help older people, their families and friends find the best way of funding their care needs for life, whilst protecting their savings and capital as far as possible. This expert advice is available to anyone concerned with paying for long term care for an older person, regardless of their means.

A care fees adviser can prepare a tailored care fees payment plan report, giving details of possible payment/care scenarios and recommending a range of investments and policies to help pay for it. The service also provides information on choosing a care home, local authority procedures and entitlements to state welfare benefits, plus legal and tax issues.

For further information, please contact Help the Aged Care Fees Advice service on freephone 0500 76 74 76.




laterlife interest

The above article is part of the features section of called laterlife interest. laterlife interest contains a variety of articles of interest for visitors to written by a number of experienced and new journalists.

It includes both one off articles and also regular columns of a more specialist nature such as healthwise, reports from the REACH files, and a beauty section called looking good in later life.

Also don't forget to take a look at our regular IT question and answer section called YoucandoIT by IT trainer and author Jackie Sherman.

To view the latest articles and indexes to previous articles click on laterlife interest here or above.  To search for articles about a certain topic, use the site search feature below.




back to laterlife interest

Site map and site search


Advertise on

LaterLife Travel Insurance in Association with Avanti